PSA – Watertown Sanitation Department Recycle Update & Paper Recycling | Local News
The week of Monday, April 11, 2022 Recycle Route B is collected. Recycle Route B is south of 3rd Av N. For single-stream recycling, mix all recycled materials into the tan container for collection every two weeks. If you need a second recycling container, please visit our website to request one. The City of Watertown will provide a Tan 95-gallon single-stream recycling container free of charge.
Please take out your collection containers the day before your collection day to avoid missing the truck. Collection routes start at 5:00 am and there is no set time when they will cover a certain area of the city. Trucks are not re-routed to pick up late-exit containers. Please do not take out your recycling container until it is full. All containers placed on the promenade or boulevard on collection day must be removed the same day following collection.
To remember-Never include glass in the recycling container. The glass is not recycled and causes injuries on the sorting line.
Here are some interesting facts about PAPER recycling:
- Paper accounts for more than a third of all recycling in the United States.
- Paper was first recycled in 1800.
- Paper can be recycled 5 to 7 times before it is no longer recyclable.
- A paper’s fiber strength is derived from its length, so avoid shredding paper that will be placed in your 95-gallon Tan container.
- In 1973, there were fewer than 50 municipal curbside recycling programs in the United States.
- Today, Watertown is one of more than 8,000 municipal curbside recycling programs in the United States.
- Chipboard represents the largest market for recycled paper in the United States.
Thank you for your interest and outstanding support of the Single Stream Curbside Recycling Program! Please visit the Watertown website www.watertownsd.us for more information or to request a recycling container.
-PSA received as written from Watertown Sanitation Department